Byzantine Prayers in Times of Illness | Thomas More College

Byzantine Prayers
in Times of Illness

Prayer for the Sick:

O Holy Father, Physician of souls and bodies, You sent your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, to heal every infirmity and to deliver us from death. Heal your servant (name) of every spiritual and bodily ill which afflicts him. Restore him by the grace of your Christ through the prayers of our most holy Lady, the Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary, and of all your Saints. For You, our God, are the Fountain of healing, and we glorify You together with your only-begotten Son, and your Consubstantial Spirit, now and ever, and forever. Amen.

Three Prayers in Time of Illness

I.

Almighty Master, Physician of our souls and bodies, who both humble and uplift, who chastise and heal: visit me with your mercy in my time of illness. Stretch forth your arm that is full of health and healing, and heal me, and allow me to leave my sick-bed. Banish my weakness and pains, heal my wounds, quench my fever, and prevent a relapse. If I am guilty of sins or transgressions, loose, remit, and forgive them for the sake of your love toward mankind. Yes, O Lord, pity me, your creature, through Christ Jesus our Lord with whom You are blessed, and through your all-holy, gracious, and life-giving Spirit, now and ever, and forever. Amen.

II.

Almighty God, Holy King: You do not wish our death as a chastisement: You lift up those who have fallen, You raise those who have been cast down, and You ease the physical ills of mankind. I beseech You, my God, have mercy on me, your servant, and heal my soul and body. Cleanse and banish every suffering, disease, illness, and weakness of body and soul. Send down, O Lord, your healing power from heaven; strengthen my body, diminish my fever, alleviate my suffering, and banish every hidden ailment. Be a physician to your servant, raise me fro my sick-bed, and restore my health. Grant that I may always please You by doing Your will: for only You can be all-merciful and save us, O God, and to You, we glorify, Father +, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever, and forever. Amen.

III.

O Lord Jesus Christ, our God, You are a River flowing in a desert and the Shadow of a great rock in a sun-scorched land. At the prayerful request of your apostle Peter, You dispelled the fever of his mother-in-law. I now beseech You: hear my supplication for the remission of my sins, and in your compassion, ease the pain, subdue the fever of my ailment, and let me find refuge in You. With your omnipotent right hand, quench the fire within me, ease my pain, and, in your mercy, raise me from my sick-bed. For You are a merciful God and the Lover of Mankind, and we glorify You, Father +, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever, and forever. Amen.

Prayer for a Sick Child

O Lord Jesus Christ, who came into this world as an infant, and though truly God, were subject to your earthly parents: grant that your child (name) bear cheerfully whatever You are pleased that he should bear, and also grant ready obedience to those whom You have set over him. Yes, O Lord, Son of God, deign to send your holy Angel from heaven to guard, cherish, protect, visit and defend this your child (name), sick in his tender years.
Stretch forth your holy right hand upon him that, restored to vigorous health, he may reach the fulness of years and serve You faithfully and gratefully all his life and become an heir to your kingdom. For You are the Physician of our souls and bodies, O Christ our God, and we glorify You, Father +, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever, and forever. Amen.

Thanksgiving for Recovery

O Lord Jesus Christ, the Life and Strength of all who place their trust in You: your mercies are numberless and the treasury of your goodness is infinite. I thank You for the blessings which You have bestowed upon me, and I humbly beseech You to continue Your goodness toward me. As it pleased You to restore my bodily health, so now endow my soul with all heavenly graces and perseverance in good works. Prepare me by your blessings in this life for the enjoyment of eternal happiness in the life to come. For to You are due all glory, thanksgiving, and adoration, together with your eternal Father and Your all-holy, gracious, and life-giving Spirit, now and ever, and forever. Amen.

For further reading:

Prayer of Thomas More College in Time of Pestilence

A Priest in time of Pestilence

The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts
Six Manchester Street
Merrimack, NH 03054

Phone: (603) 880-8308
Fax: (603) 880-9280
Contact via email

Copyright © 2024 Thomas More College of Liberal Arts. All rights reserved.