Thomas More College is a four-year Catholic liberal arts college that combines intensive reading of the Great Books with lectures and seminar discussions placing those works in their historical, cultural, and theological context. Students are trained to see in the many facets of Beauty the single face of Truth. The College welcomes students of all faiths.
Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic
Founded: Thomas More College was founded in 1978 by Catholic laymen.
Campus: Thomas More College is housed on a 14-acre campus in Merrimack, NH on the original lot of the “Brenton Grant,” which is a piece of land given to William Brenton by the Massachusetts Court in 1658. The campus is 45 minutes north of Boston, one hour from the seacoast of Maine or the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and three hours from Quebec Province.
Academic Program: Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts. Our Program includes tutorial classes that are tailored to student interests, a semester in Rome and an optional Oxford Program.
Student Ratio: 53% women, 47% men
Student Body Size: 90
Freshman Retention Rate: 96% (compared to 67% national mean)
Graduation Rate: 53% (compared to 47% national mean for 5-year completion)
Average class size: 17
Graduate Schools: Over 80 Graduate, Medical, and Professional Programs and 30 Schools of Law have accepted our graduates for admission.
Chapel: Thomas More College is faithful to the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church. Mass and Confession are offered daily. During the week students have the opportunity to attend Mass in both the ordinary and extraordinary forms. The Rosary and the Divine Office are recited daily.
Faculty: Student/Teacher ratio is 10:1.
Rome Campus: 100% of Thomas More College students study in Rome for one semester. Students reside with the Maronite monks of Saint Anthony Monastery in a historic villa just 5 miles from the Vatican.
Geographic Breakdown: Students come from 23 US states and 1 foreign country.
- Northeast and Mid-Atlantic: 53%
- South: 14%
- Midwest/West: 30%
- International: 3%
Students Living on Campus: 98%
Tuition Cost: $21,000
Room and Board: $9,700
Statistics: After four years at Thomas More College, the average student has…
- Translated over 1,000 lines of Homer, Cicero, or other Classical authors.
- Read 10,000 pages of the Great Books.
- Traveled over 8,400 miles to and from Rome, Italy.
- Visited over 100 baroque churches, Roman architectural sites, Renaissance piazzas, and catacombs.
- Written a Senior Thesis and presented it to the entire college.
- Attended 40 academic guest lectures, classical music recitals, and Oxford-style debates.
- Had the opportunity to attend 840 daily Masses on campus (Confession is available before Mass) and 40 “Stational” Masses in Rome.
Academic Milestones: After four years at Thomas More College, each student can take due pride that his time was spent…
- Studying natural history and science through the birds and woods of New Hampshire.
- Learning to chant the Divine Office.
- Writing sonnets and “writing” an icon.
- Living in the heart of Rome and going on pilgrimage to Poland or Spain.
- Designing a personal series of tutorials to test academic interests and talents.
- Defending a controversial proposition in the Junior project and oral examination.
- Learning fine woodworking, naturalistic drawing, and music through our unique Medieval Guild Program.